Breathing, physical activity and talking about it are great ways to help deal with anger or stress. That said, sometimes when anger or stress builds up inside, you just want to scream. Handled correctly, this can be a therapeutic way to vent some of that frustration (though we would still encourage you to find someone you trust afterwards to talk to about it). Screaming however is not always socially acceptable. Maybe you’re in a public place where screaming would cause alarm or perhaps your parent just doesn’t get it or takes it personally when you you let anger out by screaming. What should you do then? That’s where the Scream Box comes in handy.
Here are a couple of pictures of the scream box we made.
You can decorate your box however you want, but here are the basic steps:
1. Gather up the following ingredients:
– Cereal box (preferably an empty one).
– Cardboard tube from inside a roll of paper towels.
– Old newspaper or packing paper (regular paper or tissue paper can also work)
– Tape (duct tape works best, but packing tape will also suffice)
– Construction paper or wrapping paper to cover the cereal box
– Items to decorate your box (markers, pencils, stickers, glitter or whatever you want to use)
2. Pack the cardboard tube and the cereal box full of paper. This helps to muffle the sound when you scream.
3. Cut a whole in the top of the box just big enough for the tube to fit in.
4. Insert the tube into the hole and duct tape all the way around the area where the tube meets the box.
5. Decorate your box however you would like.
Using the box is pretty simple. When you’re frustrated or angry or stressed and other calm down techniques aren’t working, just pull out your scream box and scream into the cardboard tube. It doesn’t totally eliminate sounds, but it will muffle your screams and still let you “get it out.”
Post a picture of your scream box in the comments below so we can see what yours looks like!